SPidge Tales

Sunday, October 22, 2006

What Could Have Been; Should Have Been

Never have I been less excited about a World Series than now. I know that Game 1 was last night. But I am still in shock, in denial, from Thursday night. It never should have come to a game 7. This was our year. At least, our year in the Lesser League. This was our year to get to the World Series. Anything more than that would be gravy. I can accept losing to the Tigers. But, not this.

I called my dad after the catch ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCtjcS5iaTY ). Later, I found out he didn't answer because he was in a bar watching the game, too. I was jumping for joy, cheering at the top of my longues. I may have been by myself in my secluded river house, but I was there in spirit with all the other fans. There was no way were going to lose after the catch of the year. Even if FoxSports was dumb enough to cut straight to commercials, and Tim McCarver called Endy "Eric", we weren't going to blow it after that.

The big hit that was supposed to follow in the bottom of the inning never came. We let them hang in, and the baby Molina brother beat us...

Yes, we are a young team. Probably a year away from competing with the American League Champion, anyway. All our young starts are coming back: Jose! Ho-Zay, Ho-Zay, Ho-Zay, Ho-Zay. David Wright, too (although he's fast approaching Jeter status in the rate of ass-kissing and the number of man-crushes the announcers have on him). The young pitchers Oliver Perez and John Maine look good, Mike Pelfrey should be ready to join the rotation, and they will be anchored by Glavine and Pedro, when he's healthy. But, I am still in shock from that fucking called third strike curveball to Beltran that I saw coming. To steal a song from the Counting Crows and change a word:

A long October
And there's reason to believe
Maybe this year
Will be better than the last

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice little poetry at the end there Pidge.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home