SPidge Tales

Sunday, March 12, 2006

St. Joseph of Cupertino, The Dunce

On Wednesday, March 15, I will be flying to down to DC to take my comprehensive examinations, my last step to receiving my Masters. It is a two day long exam, 4 hours each day, all essays. I am going through a 30 book reading list to prepare in my free time, when I'm not busy teaching and coaching, and moving into my new apartment. I am doing my part to prepare, and dear readers, here is your part. First, the background:

There is a saint named St. Joseph Cupertino, the patron saint of examinations. He was really slow intellectually, and rejected from many trades. He was grudgingly accepted into a monastery as a novice. His goal was to be a priest, a goal that could only be reached if he passed an oral examination of one question that could be on just about anything. He studied as hard as he could, but was only able to learn one small passage from I think the Gospel of Luke. He prayed really hard to God to be asked about the one thing he knew when tested. When he was tested, his question was on the one thing he knew! He passed and was ordained.

If you would like more detail on St. Joseph Cupertino, here is the short version from the Catholic Encyclopedia:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08520b.htm, and here is a longer (and better) version from EWTN's website: http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARY/JOSEPH.htm .

I would like you all to pray to St. Joseph Cupertino for me to help me on my comprehensive exams. Below are the two prayers to him. So, pray for me :-).

Prayer to St. Joseph of Cupertino for success in Examinations.
This powerful prayer is very effective in examinations. It has to be said before appearing in the examination. There are two variants to this prayer. Both the prayers are equally effective. You can choose any one of these:

First Prayer
O Great St. Joseph of Cupertino who while on earth did obtain from God the grace to be asked at your examination only the questions you knew, obtain for me a like favour in the examinations for which I am now preparing. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked. Through Christ our Lord. St. Joseph of Cupertino, Pray for us. Amen.

Second Prayer
O St. Joseph of Cupertino who by your prayer obtained from God to be asked at your examination, the only preposition you knew. Grant that I may like you succeed in the (here mention the name of Examination eg. History paper I) examination. In return I promise to make you known and cause you to be invoked. O St. Joseph of Cupertino pray for me O Holy Ghost enlighten me Our Lady of Good Studies pray for me Sacred Head of Jesus, Seat of divine wisdom, enlighten me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll do fine Pidge...no sweat.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home